Monday, April 29, 2013

World of WarPlanes - mouse input delay issue revisited


First time I mentioned the lag input delay was in this article, now, with update 0.4.2 recently released (today) I had to revisit the issue.

The problem is that the new patch introduced even more lag (delay) than was previously. Now it's at 500 milliseconds (!) vs 300 ms previously.
I cannot understand what happened ... in the patch notes (that I currently cannot quote because the WoWp domain is under maintenance) they say they worked out input delays in various control schemes, and instead they added more?!?! This is baffling to say the least.

It takes 30 frames for the plane to react to the new heading, at 20 frames mark, the planes starts activating the ailerons and only 10 frames later the aiming reticle starts moving:

the original was shot at 60FPS and I slowed it down to 1 frame per second

Aiming in this new patch, with mouse control scheme, became even more difficult than it previously was.
I have no idea what the developers are thinking, but it's not good at all.


PS: I might be wrong, but I have a strong feeling WoWp is preparing for open BETA really really soon. The main portal has been, and still is, under maintenance for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment