About 2 weeks back NWO "soft launched" it's "open BETA" stage. I looked like an interest in the game and started playing it. Until few days ago ..
So .. what happened? I finally reached lvl30 with my elf guardian fighter (basically it's a tank) and I got bored. Yes, I got bored with the game.
The game doesn't stand out, doesn't make you want to get back to it. I'm basically
What do I like about the game:
- the combat mechanics, as Cryptic described them, they are very action oriented - they are simple and to the point, it doesn't throw a bunch of action bars in front and dazzles you with numerous skills, compared for example with SWToR
- the PvP, I do like the PvP in this game; it shows that Cryptic learned a lot of the failure the PvP in STO is and made it way better for NeverWinter, you still have to weight in the human factor, but it's engaging
- the "skirmish" and "dungeon" events - queue for a party and there you go, group PvE at your fingertips; the "skirmish" are more like quick in, quick out, compared to the "dungeons" that can stretch to 40-60 minutes in length and varies on the group performance (and it can go sideways fast at the final boss) - they are tricky
What I do not like:
- the inventory system - it's a mess! you have a limited amount of space and you will be forced to make trips to town to sell/auction unwanted items in the inventory; also not helping is the fact that quest items do not go into a separate "bag", they're stored with the rest
- the grind
- lack of explanation on many aspects of the game, not even the wiki is helpful in some situations
- too many items! armor, weapons, runes, scrolls, altars, potions, crafting mats, badges and whatnot - they take a lot of inventory space and many of which you need with you at all times
- the story, the lore and the quests - they are generic, forgettable ... to this day I do not know why/who/for what purpose I'm fighting; I played through 30 levels worth of quests and if someone asks me if I remember any of it, I would have to say: "I don't"
I'm fighting orcs, trolls, wizards undead, necromancers dragons, skeletons and whatnot and I have no clue why am I doing it. Just because they need to be dead!?
So, today I will unistall NeverWinter OnLine with the hope that someday it will grow and learn from the mistakes they've made. Hopefully ...
zMeul - elf guardian fighter lvl30 on Beholder server - retired